The splashes of the people in the boats leaping into the river sounded like thunderclaps in my ears. People were landing hastily on both sides of the river. But the Martian machine took no more notice for the moment of the people running this way and that than a man would of the confusion of ants in a nest against which his foot has kicked. When, half suffocated, I raised my head above water.
- 4 dead, including suspect, in shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola in Florida
- NYC’s ‘Pizza Rat’ has some competition: Meet ‘Coffee Rat’
- Economy added booming 266,000 jobs in November and the unemployment rate fell to 3.5%
- ‘This is mercy, not justice’: Las Vegas shooting victims to split $800M. But how much is pain worth?
- House Ethics Committee tells indicted Rep. Duncan Hunter to ‘refrain from voting’